Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

How We Painted Our Bedroom Furniture

Over Memorial Day, DH and I spent three days painting our bedroom set. And I was featured on


 
Click here for the story. 
 


Before


and After!

I've been asked what the process was, basically we did it the same way everyone does it but we used  ML Campbell Products instead of regular paint.

Here's how we did it:

  • Moved the furniture into the garage which we covered the floor with lots of those cheap plastic drop cloths.

  • Wiped down all the furniture with a mixture of Simple Green and water.

  • Rubbed on the deglosser, no need to sand when you use this...make sure to wear gloves and have a mask on..lots of fumes. We actually did the deglosser two times to make sure it broke down the finish.

  • We bought a HVLP (high volume, low pressure) spray gun because it has low overspray and it's what the professionals use. Cost is about $100...not a bad investment.

  • We used the MagnaClaw Primer and sprayed on two coats, sanding after the second coat.

  • Wiped down with a wet towel to clear off the dust.

  • For the cream color, we used the Magnalac pigmented lacquer  and thined it down with lacquer thinner, spraying on two coats.

  • Next we applied the Woodsong II glaze, which was thinned down mineral spirits. We completely covered each piece and wiped off the excess glaze that we didn't want.

  • Applied two coats of Magnalac clear top coat to seal everything off.
DH did lots of research and found out that the ML Campbell brand is what the cabinet businesses use to paint cupboards. The laquer and topcoat dried so fast that the processes were really fast.
The laquer can be tinted to any color but make sure you do your research before starting to paint your furniture. 

And we even painted our ceiling fan with left over paint...


Here's the fan as it use to be, brass and very dated.


DH hard at work...


And Storm had to stay outside and wasn't happy that he couldn't be right in the middle of it all.


And the after!

If you haven't heard of the ML Campbell products, please consider checking them out.



Have you heard of this? Room air freshners that you put on your ceiling fan or in the car. I found this at Lowes for a couple of bucks...smells good so far.

Now if I can only get DH interested in painting our kitchen cupboards or the bathroom cupboards...please leave a comment for him and let him know he's rested enough..it's time to get moving... lol..

I'm linking to:

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!





UndertheTableandDreaming

5 comments:

Paula@SweetPea said...

What a difference a little paint can make! Your updates look great.

trish said...

Good Morning Terry.
I really appreciate the time you took to share with us, step by step, the process in re-doing your furniture. I have several pieces in my house that I want to paint, and have not yet taken the first step. Mainly because it will require stripping them first and it scares me a little bit ... what if I ruin it. :o)
Your instructions will be tabbed for sure!
I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
Please pass on to your DH what a fabulous job he did on your bedroom furniture! And when he does the kitchen cabinets, my husband and I will be watching from afar! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Fantastic job! I will look into the paint you used. Can you convince you hubs to swing by with that sprayer you used and do my kitchen, after yours of course! What brand was the sprayer?

KimMalk said...

I can't believe what a huge difference painting your furniture made. It looks so much better. I appreciate your detailed instructions, too.

Kenzie said...

Looks great! I love the color!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails